always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sisters...

Growing up, I always wanted a sister.  I have a brother, and he is awesome.  I love him a lot.  But, he's not a sister.  Duh.  I did get a sister later in life, when my mom got remarried.  It's been great, but it's still not the same as what my girls share.  The getting to grow up together, the shared history, the inside jokes about what idiots your parents are.  I'm also lucky enough to have three great sisters-in-law.  They are all really cool.  But they all already have at least one sister.  I've truthfully never been much of a girlfriend girl.  But, growing up, I usually had one really close friend.  Not always the same one, but I did most often have one.  What I think is interesting about these friendships is that I can only think of one, maybe two that had a sister.  I wonder if I somehow was drawn to that?  Trying to find a surrogate sister??


 The following picture is somewhat of a joke at our house.
 
I can't remember if I'm the Good Sister or the Evil One...
 
When Sydney was born, Peyton was such a good big sister.  She wanted to hold, feed, carry and love the baby.  All. The. Time.  As Syd grew, she became a bit of a stinker.  She wasn't always very nice to her big sister.  They still spent a lot of time together, and got along really well, most of the time.  However, when they weren't getting along, it was usually because of Syd.



Sisters are the perfect best friend. (They come by the eye roll naturally.)












































These days, if the girls aren't getting along (I will admit this happens rarely) it is almost always because Peyton is annoyed about something.  She is not subtle in showing her irritation.  She will let you know...loud and proud. (Pot, meet Kettle.) We joke about who has to "wake the bear" in the morning.  And who has to tell her to do her chores.  And all of the other stuff that makes her cranky.  Often, she is nicer to her sister on these occasions and usually directs her wrath to us idiots who are trying to raise her.  However, there have been a few times that she's been upset with Syd.




I can only think of a handful of times that they have actually been really mad at each other.  They've never been the type to fight physically with each other.  I've heard stories of other sisters who couldn't be in the same room without coming to blows.  There may have been times that I don't know about them fighting, but I doubt there are many.  I generally hear the dirty details in these cases.


I've always told the girls that they need to be nice to each other because they will be best friends some day.  Which usually is answered with a groan and an eye roll or head shake.  But, truthfully, they already are best friends.  I hope they will always be the type of sisters that want to call each other with news, good or bad, before they tell anyone else. That they will be proud of each others success.  That they will be honest with each other, even when it hurts.  That they will protect and stick up for their sister, even if she was wrong.  And then, tell her flat out that she was, in fact, wrong. 

They have already decided each will be the maid/matron of honor at each others weddings, and they talk about who's going to be the coolest aunt to the others kids.  I have a feeling it will be the two of them that it hits the hardest when Peyton leaves for college.  But for now, I hope they can enjoy having each other when mom or dad just won't do.  I imagine there are probably things you can only tell your sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment