always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Monday, September 14, 2015

Lessons Learned.

So, we know our 16 year-old is smart. What we don't always remember is that she is pretty wise too. We have had some pretty deep conversations with her recently.

One of the things that she mentioned is we've probably been putting a bit too much pressure on them lately. She said that when we compliment them we say things like "Wow, good job getting 9 out of 10 on that quiz, but what happened with the last question?" Or "Nice race Syd, but looks like you had some trouble with that turn." It's all about the "but".

Looking back on these conversations, I realize that what she is saying is true. I know neither Mark or I is trying to be critical. We just know they have huge potential and the "but" is our way of trying to see what we can do to help. That's how we see it. Obviously, they see it differently. And how they see it is what matters.

One of the other things that came up is what we expect from them. We try to be pretty "Free Range" in our parenting. (You can read more about that here.) But, we forget sometimes that they still need us to guide them. There seems to be a fine line between too little and too much. I'm not sure we will ever strike the right balance. But, we will keep trying.

For now, George-o (because I know you're reading this) just know that we heard you. We listened. And we will keep trying. Because we weren't lying when we said all we want is for you to try your hardest. And the best way to show you that is for us to do the same. Always.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment