always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Setting Goals

We recently had a goal-setting session at work. Historically, I'm not much of a goal-setter. I am a planner, but I don't think these are necessarily synonymous. I have definitely not EVER been a "5 year plan" type of person. This fact is super annoying  impressive to my husband. I'm sure you can imagine.

But, I wonder if we're doing the girls a disservice by not teaching them these skills. I thought parenting would get easier as they get older, but well, I was SO wrong!

It seems like time is slipping away so quickly, and there is so much we still need to teach them about being adults. And then, I realize that I'm a sucky adult sometimes. So, what the heck am I doing teaching them anything?

I wonder if I could suggest a class to the colleges "Adulting...all the things your parents should have taught you but didn't." My girls know the basics, how to do laundry, feed themselves, change a tire, etc. But what about things like doing taxes? Mark joked that they would actually have to be motivated enough to make some money before they have to worry about taxes. What about budgeting? Right now, we have a "family account" with each girl having a debit card. However, our great intentions of this teaching them about managing an account flew out the window. Basically, it is now me just putting money in there on an alarmingly frequent basis. So, high five, right?

But in all seriousness, there are a lot of things that we don't even know they don't know! How do you plan for that?

So, maybe I should become a goal-setter type of person. My first goal can be to figure out what the girls should know before they leave for college. My second can be to find someone to teach them these things that they will actually listen to.

Someone adultier than me.

I saw this on the internet and it seemed fitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment