always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Grateful

Our goal is to raise our girls to be grateful.  (By the way, does anyone else have trouble spelling that word?  I always want to spell it greatful...)  It's difficult, because often times we take things for granted and perhaps are not the best examples.  I'm totally looking at you, Mark!  OK, not really.

By most standards, we are extremely fortunate.  We have never had to worry about the basic necessities.  But we are also in a position where our kids are privileged enough to go to private school.  Our 15 year old had a car as soon as she had a drivers license.  We can afford a lot of extras.  And we feel pretty lucky.

However, it can be a challenge at times to see the immense wealth surrounding us at the fore-mentioned private schools.  It's easy to get stuck in the more, more, more mentality.  But it also goes deeper than that.  The guilt from being so fortunate and not doing more for those with less.  Seeing people on the street corner holding a sign asking for help and looking the other way.  Going on vacation, and then thinking about how many people you could have helped with that money.  The list of items to feel guilty about could be endless.  We try to do good, but could always do more.

I also really want the girls to be grateful for the little things.  And that can be an exercise in futility.  The other morning, Peyton informed me that she needed black pants and a black shirt for her choir performance...that day.  She came in to raid my closet, and was critical of every option presented to her.  After several attempts to appease her, I finally left her to her own devices.  I was finding it very difficult to be gracious. Besides the fact that she expected me to drop everything and attend to her needs, I was resentful that she was making me late and leaving a heap of clothing strewn about expecting me to clean up after her.

I walked away, trying to find some gratitude in myself.  I'm grateful she knows I will try to help her, I'm grateful for a closet full of clothes, etc.  About five minutes later, she came in and gave me hug.  "Thanks for helping me, Mom".  And for that, I'm very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment