always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Confession time...

I am addicted to my iPhone.  I know there are some super serious addictions out there, and I'm not making light of them.  However, by definition I am addicted:

addiction

 noun ad·dic·tion \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

 : a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

: an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something


Is being addicted to my phone "harmful" as stated in the first definition?  Probably not in the traditional sense.  But, it does cause conflict in my house.  Often.  It's something I try to work on, stumble and fall, and try again.  

I think part of the problem is that while I could give up my phone (or at least the features on it that suck my attention) deep down, I don't really want to.  I use it as an escape.  

I would imagine most people who meet me would not peg me for an introvert.  I'm fairly outgoing, and willing to engage in most conversations.  However, in true introvert form, this tends to exhaust me.  I need to recharge my batteries a lot.  Generally, I do this in two ways...plugging into my phone, or burying my head in a book. 

The problem is, I notice the girls picking up this habit.  I'm setting a terrible example for them.  It's hard to get too upset with them getting sucked into reading.  Although, it has caused problems in the past...Peyton got grounded from the library and reading anything unrelated to school work when we found out she was reading in class instead of listening to her instructors.  (Clearly she is on the road to juvie if this was what her crime and punishment were.)  But, the electronics are taking over all of our lives.  It's got to change.  And I'm afraid it has to start with me.

I'm working on it.  And admitting there's a problem is the first step...

No comments:

Post a Comment