always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Friday, February 20, 2015

Whoa, hold up.

The other day, one of the girls and I had a conversation that I would never have imagined.  Without going in to detail, it was pretty big.  I tried so hard to not freak out.  I mean, freaking out is kind of what I do.  It's my thing

That got me to thinking about those times in parenting when you don't know what to do.  Or what to say.  Or when your first reaction is wrong.  And you know it.  What do you do then?  No, for real...I'm asking.  Cuz I suck at reacting well.

What I did do, was ask a lot of questions.  And freak out internally.

Later, I revisited the conversation with her, and asked for her feedback.  I asked how well she thought I handled it.  What I could do differently.  What reaction she expected.  And hopefully, made her feel like she could come to me with the hard stuff.

It was both exhilarating and terrifying.  Just like parenting...

No comments:

Post a Comment