always

always

for reals...

for reals...

A blog about parenting teens and other things. There are a lot of "mommy blogs" out there. I love many of them. However, they aren't really applicable at this stage in our parenting. A blog about parenting teens? Now that is something I can get behind!

Although, I will say, if you are looking for advice on parenting, I can mostly offer the things I've found that DON'T work. I'm not an expert. AT. ALL . Unless we're talking about eyerolls. And then, I've got that shizzle nailed...

Monday, May 11, 2015

Every day is Mother's day

Mother's day was pretty uneventful for us. Honestly, this is exactly how I like it. It's great to have a day to honor hard-working moms (so just moms really), but even if they don't realize it, my people show me how much I mean to them often.

When I'm sitting next to my 16 year-old at church and she leans her head on my shoulder. (In public!) When my 13 year old sits sooooo close to me when we are in a restaurant booth. (So close that it can be difficult to get my food in my mouth.) When my husband brings me coffee in bed every morning. (For real.)

 But, it's more than that. Our goal as parents is to put ourselves out of a job, right? So, even as they are asking me questions about certain things (laundry, chores, what to wear, etc.) they are getting to the point where they are actually listening to me. Not all the time. But, I can see it starting to transition.

They are pretty self-sufficient. They have good morals. They make relatively sound decisions. They are so, so much better than I could ever hope to be. And I had a part in that. We set the expectations. I helped give them the tools. But, let's be honest. They chose how to utilize those tools.

And that is my greatest accomplishment. And the best gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment